Wednesday, October 7, 2015

The Power of the Atonement

Hello Fam and Friends.

So this week was eventful! haha. Rowena was seeking to receive answers to her prayers about her baptism and how to resolve the concerns she has.  We went to her place every single night this week to help her recognize how the spirit answers our prayers.  One night after many attempts of asking and praying for Heavenly father to answer her prayers, I had a strong impression to ask the Bishop of Legazpi ward to give her a priesthood blessing. It was powerful. It was beautiful. Even though Bishop didn't know her that well, the Love of Christ was felt very strongly.  The next morning after that blessing, suddenly the doorbell rings. It's 7am and we're all soo confused as to who's at our apartment this early!
Low and behold it's Sister Guanzon, the mission president's wife.

She walks in and says that our mission hasn't had many baptisms within the past year and that its crashing down, so she will work with the sister missionaries every day until she leaves the mission. I have to say that her energy was refreshing, but that morning when she came had to be the most hilarious thing in the world. SO we did personal and companion study with Sister Guanzon and she came with us to Rowena. Sister Guanzon bore powerful testimony to Rowena and she helped her with any doubts she was feeling. 
The next appointment we had with Rowena, she said she still couldnt figure God's answer for her.....
This is where is was lost and didnt really know what to do or share with her because we had literally shared with her everything we could in trying to help her recognize her answers to her prayers.

After reading a talk by Elder Holland about the atonement, I felt prompted to share with Rowena about the Atonement that Jesus Christ did for us and the love He has for all His children. We read Mosiah chapter 14 in the Book of Mormon. It was deep. It was powerful. The spirit was so strong. After reading the chapter with us and asking her inspired questions from Heaven, she softened her heart and committed to be baptized this saturday. It was....... another miracle. We'll see what actually ends up happening this Saturday, but I can honestly say that in that moment, while discussing the atonement and how Christ can heal everyone, it was even a huge testimony builder for me about the depth of the atonement and how powerful it is. As I try to dissect why the atonement is so powerful, I've come to the conclusion that it's all because of love.

Love is the single most powerful motivating factor for anything and everything in this life. But more specifically, Christ's love can change hearts and heal anyone's doubt or disbelief. 

I love my mission so much.
I love Legazpi city and Legazpi ward more than anything in the world.
I really dont know what I'm going to do if I'm transferred from this magnificent place. 
God has shown me so much about Himself and myself and how to help these filipinos more than in any other place or time in my entire life. 
I love this work so much and the people of Legazpi just as much.

Mahal kita!
Sister Delgado

<3  Best city in the Philippines <3 



No comments:

Post a Comment