Sunday, March 15, 2015

No effort given is wasted

Kumusta Fam!
So this week was pretty great. Sister Padre and I challenged ourselves to work even harder than we did the week before because our Key Indicators (stats for how many people we teach, baptisms, teach with member present, etc) weren’t as great as they could be. During the course of our week, we felt sort of bummed because we weren’t getting instant results even though we planned super well and thoroughly. Like when we had our member present, people wouldn’t want to listen to us or let us in to share our message or people weren’t home. Ah! Haha it was frustrating because the members of the church are so busy so when had them working with us and we couldn’t teach, it was a bit discouraging. I almost felt like our efforts were waisted. But as the days go by and by nine oclock pm, we realize that we actually did a lot better than we thought. We normally teach about 12 lessons a day, and we taught 3 lessons with our member (Nene) present during an afternoon. And boy did we work for those three lessons with her.  At the end of the day I realized that no effort given is waisted because this is truly the Lord’s work. Everything is in his timing. Everything we gave that was probably the way he intended it for us. 
I really felt God’s grace upon sister Padre and I when we met a man named Michael. He spoke some English too because he’s an English teacher, which was pretty cool. Padre and I found the Pura family while tracting one day and initially our lesson was for nany pura, his mom. But eventually as we were teaching the lesson, he peaked out of the corner of the room beside us. At first, we were talking with nanay pura face to face, and then Michael through the wooden wall. But as the lesson progressed, we were eventually able to see his face. The Pura family said they would pray to know if our message was true. About a week later we went back to the Pura home. We saw Michael washing his clothes and his mom cooking. We asked him if we could share another message and talk about his prayer. He dropped everything and welcomed us in so kindly, along with his mother. This was kind of a shock to Padre and I because normally people use their chores as reasons to not talk to us. Lol.  So we went inside and asked him how his prayer about our message was going and he said he felt it was true. We taught him how God calls prophets to lead and guide us, and because God is the same today, yesterday, and tomorrow, He has called a prophet for today’s generation. Thomas S Monson. Michael committed to pray if President Monson was a true prophet….and committed to follow the savior through baptism. This was a pretty special experience for me because I had never encountered a soul as ready and willing to follow Jesus Christ and accept his restored gospel.  Makes me want to evaluate myself and ask if I’m willing to change as quick as he is. 
I'm so grateful for my kasama sister Padre (Madre). She truly is my other nanay out here. Haha. We got to give service to a recent  converts Tatay Carlito and Nanay Feeda.  Tay Carlito make not make it much longer. L Padre and I cleaned their cock pit arena and swept all the garbage around the house. They weren’t home because they were at the hospital, but we hope it made their burden a bit lighter.
Here in the Philippines, there are a lot of situations and circumstances that truly hinder people to progress in the church. A lot of the times it financial, social, or health problems xs 10. As Missionaries, there’s not much we can do for them in that area, which makes it hard.  After studying in Alma 13: 28-29, I was reminded that part of being a missionary, or a witness of Christ requires that I have a heart full of love for those we serve and to serve with patience and long suffering. No we wont always get the results we hope for in the people we teach and invite daily, but it’s so important to be patient with them and their challenges and to help in any way possible. Of course our key indicators will not be perfect every week. People are people. Things happen, and as Padre and I give our best every day to the people here in Gubat, the pure joy we feel for when things do work out for them and they follow the gospel principles, all the hard work, sweat, and tears are suddenly irrelevant and it all becomes worth it.  That joy we feel when we see a less active member member come to church after serving and teaching them throughout the week makes it all worth it. That joy we feel when someone we’ve met twice is already wanting to be baptized makes it worth it. That joy we feel when members feel the spirit tell them what they need to do/change in their lives in order to come closer to Christ, makes it all worth it. After this week, I know that no matter what the outcome may be in that moment, no effort given to someone other than your self is wasted. 
I love this gospel, and if I didnt know it was true, I wouldnt be here right now. I know that the Philippines Legazpi mission is exactly where I need to be, and where I'm meant to be. I love these filipinos, and everyday I'm able to witness a portion of the love God feels for them. Life here for the filipinos is so hard, but they always manage to make things work out and be smart in all things. Inspiring. 
Mahaaaaaal kita!
Sister Delgado
Fun fun facts:
- While entering a Less Active's home the step down to their floor was super steep. And apparently slippery after the rain. So naturally I fell. And possibly broke their door. Just kidding. haha their door was fine.
-While in that same Less Active's house, a lizard crawled up my skirt. Yeah. Whatever you're imagining about the way I reacted, you're right! 
-I convinced (made) Padre ride on top of the jeepney on the way to an appointment. 
-I dreamt in tagalog for the first time last Thursday.
-The Philippines is pretty hot. 
-Everyday is a jungle hike adventure.
-I get eaten alive by mosquitoes.

-My cooking is uhm...... improving ;)














No comments:

Post a Comment