Monday, June 29, 2015

There can be miracles when you believe.‏

Kumusta lahat!
Yes, there have been so many miracles that I’ve seen within the past week. Let’s just start with saying that Sister Ramada and I have doing a TON of tracting here in Legazpi. The people here are super sweet and very hospital! Within the last two weeks, Sister Ramada and I found a total of about 30 investigators just by tracting and praying for the Lord to guide us in our endevors to be productive with our time while waiting for our new area in Bulusan.
But… things changed. 
As I wrote about the Gonzsalez family last week, I never thought that family would change so much of my perspective of missionary work, the power of the spirit working through the Lord’s missionaries, and the power love has over those you give it to.
The Gonzsalez family is so special. Especially their cute little 10 year girl, who reminds me so much of my cousin London because she’s so sweet and polite and loves to cuddle me. It’s the best thing ever. All of them are Catholic, but are searching for something more. Especially Sister Gonzsalez. During our last lesson with them, we invited them to church and they said yes. Most past investigators usually say yes to coming to church but usually don’t end up attending, so I had no expectations. So comes Sunday morning, the morning after transfer announcements. The Assistants to the President said that Sister Ramada and I will be report to Bulusan the next Friday of this coming week. Sister Ramada and I honestly didn’t have a good feeling about leaving Legazpi after establishing our our teaching pool and becoming super aquainted with our new investigators. Nothing about the announcement felt right, but nevertheless we continued to press forward with our work here in Legazpi until the time came for transfer day. That Sunday morning, we went the Gonzalez family’s home to invite them to walk with us to church. To my surprise, Chealsea, the 11 year old was so excited to come with and so she hurried and got ready! Her mom of course was very supportive of Chealsea coming, but had a few things to do so she said that she wouldn’t be able to come. So Sister Ramada, Chealsea, and myself all went to church together. President Guanzon actually attends the Legazpi ward most of the time, and so when he saw us, he invited the three of us to sit with him. Chealsea was so well behaved and listened and sat still the entire sacrament meeting. Then we all went to primary together.. hahaha I miss primary. Primary is even more hilarious in the Philippines. After awhile, someone came knocking on the door of the Primary room, and low and behold it was Chealsea’s two sisters and her mom!!! 
It was the most exciting thing ever. I didn’t know they would come!
So we went with Sister Gonzsalez and her eldest daughter to Relief Society for the last hour of church. Sister Guanzon, President Guanzon’s wife was there and invited us to sit with her. It was a great lesson in Relief Society, but of course Sister Gonzsalez had many questions. Good thing Sister Guanzon was there because she answered every one of them.. hahaa. Sister Guanzon asked us how we found this family and I told her last Sunday while tracting. Sister Guanzon immediately said that it wasn’t a coincidence that we met. Sister Dizon and Sister Jemino said that they actually tracted her house and sister Gonzsalez wouldn’t let them in..
That really said something to me, and I felt the impression to ask Sister Gonzsalez if me and Sister Ramada could come back to her home later that night. She said yes.
So after all of this, Bulusan still didn’t make sense in my mind. I was so unsettled and wondered who would take care of this family spiritually if we are to leave. Why do we have so many investigators here? Why? Why? Why?
I cant really describe this feeling, other than an absence of peace. 
So I started a personal fast, and asked Sister Ramada to join me for a companionship fast. We prayed to know if Bulusan was our destined area if the Gonzalez family needed us here in Legazpi. I said to myself that if we don’t teach the Gonzalez family tonight and if they don’t accept the challenge of reading the Book of Mormon, I will take that as an answer to my question about whether or not we’re meant to help.
Kind of crazy thought, huh? But, if I wanted to if this family was serious enough, I really felt prompted to put all my money on the table. 
As we fasted and prayed, I had the impression to give her the Book of Mormon. The only problem was that we had only taught her once and she actually knew nothing about the gospel. Normally I would start to panic, but I felt the Lord’s strength the entire time. We arranged for a member to come with us to here home, but Sister Gonzsalez ended up cancelling at the last minute…..
NO! haha. Yes I panicked just a tad. But a thought came in my mind to tell her that I had a gift to give her and her children. Which was the Book of Mormon. She then said, ok, you can come over.
Hehe..
So Sister Ramada came over and we taught the entire restoration in 30 mins and finally gave them the gift of the Book of Mormon. To make things more interesting, I even used the picture book of church history my beloved grandma sent me and gave them each pictures of the Savior and a picture of the temple to remind them of the ultimate goal for them- to have their family sealed forever.
Sister Gonzsalaz was very in tune with the spirit and so were the kids. They all accepted the invitation to read the Book of Mormon and committed to church next Sunday.
My fast and prayers were answered.
President Guanzon has decided to allow me and Sister Ramada stay here in Legazpi as we endeavour to help this family in their journey in going to the temple.
All I know is that through this crazy, amazing experience is that the power of the spirit and the power of God is real. None of this was by my own doing. I know all the promptings came from God, and that He opened the doors for us to meet this family that means so much to me. I love my mission and everything it has taught me.
Life is challenging, but beautiful at the same time because God is allowing us to grow and become more like Him. The gospel is true and this work changes lives.
It’s changing mine.
Love,
Sister Delgado

No comments:

Post a Comment